Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Zed Leppelin- by The Sgt.

That original posting got a rise out of a lot of different people. My dad actually took some flack for his comments from one of my kid brother's friends. Here is his official response:

Led Zeppelin (1969)
This was a very strong first effort, just nudged out by IV as the best in their catalog. Here they are primarily a blues band; loud and aggressive but not an all out assault as many of their heavy metal followers were. Good mix of louder and softer passages.

Led Zep II (1969)
This was a big step down from I with 3 good songs and 6 average ones but this did firmly establish their sound. Whole Lotta Love has to be the most overrated song in the history of rock music. Heartbreaker is typical of future Jimmy Page guitar solos; some nice ideas but always a sloppy section where his fingers can’t keep up with his head.

Led Zep III (1970)
Another step down from II. Only 2 good songs out of 10, the best being a pure blues number, Since I’ve Been Loving You. The PR machine is cranking now.

Led Zep IV (1971)
Redemption! This is their masterpiece. All eight songs are strong and one qualifies for one of the finest in rock history.

Houses of the Holy (1973)
They fall back to earth with 3 good songs and 5 average ones. By now the sound is firmly established and they are selling out arenas. Their touring persona is just as if not more important than their music.

Physical Graffiti (1975)
Total bombast! Now that they are making money hand over fist they can indulge their musical excesses. The most popular song from the album, Kashmir, is 8 minutes of nothing happening. Songs are generally longer to accommodate half fleshed out ideas that never amount to anything.

Presence (1976)
The well has run dry for Jimmy Page. I know plenty of people own this one only because it was a habit.

In Through the Out Door (1979)
Rock music was changing and Zep was tired. At least this one had 2 decent songs.

CODA (1982)
Fulfilling a recording contract. Enough said.


Jimmy Page – The third best guitarist to come out of the Yardbirds. Always had a tendency for sloppy passages in his solos. A very good player but not one of the best despite his reputation. He wrote plenty of good songs on albums 1-5 but ran out of ideas for the last 4. Has anyone heard any of his solo work?(didn’t think so) I always got a chuckle out of his on stage persona; scrunched up face, low slung guitar pounding out arena chords like he was making an important musical statement. I believe he thought his shit didn’t stink. I guess if I was making all that money I would think that too.

John Bonham – I always got a kick out the people that were impressed that on the first half of his drum solo on Moby Dick he was using his hands and not drum sticks. Claim to fame was his big sound and ability to keep the beat when blind drunk. As far as drunk drummers, I would take Keith Moon anyday. Bonzo could not hold a candle to Clive Bunker (Jethro Tull), Ginger Baker (Cream), Mitch Mitchell ( Jimi Hendrix), Michael Giles ( King Crimson), Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson), Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman ( The Dead). Should I keep going? Again, a good timekeeper but not one of the greats.

John Paul Jones – I wonder if he sails. He played the bass and some keyboards. Enough said.

Robert Plant – Had a truly distinctive voice and at the end of the day that is what every musician wants.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell that Sarge he is Full of Shit Man; Presence is one of Led Zeppelin's more overlooked albums, languishing in the monstrous shadow of its predecessor, Physical Graffiti. It's more noted in Zeppelin mythology for the circumstances in which it was recorded, in double-quick time with vocalist Robert Plant's leg in plaster after a car accident. The lack of time does show--much of the album feels like generic heavy rock, bigger on volume than variety. It's worth the price of the album, however, for the 10-minute-plus "Achilles Last Stand" (a crashing, galloping epic with John Bonham sounding like he's replaced his drumsticks with tree trunks) and "Nobody's Fault but Mine," a Blind Willie Johnson blues regenerated with a 3,000-watt boost by Jimmy Page.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr. Sgt. I appreciate your enthusiasm for my work, and I agree, the other members of my band are not on par with me. That's right, I said par. I play golf now. I guess a lot has changed, but I still sleep with 5 women a day.

Anonymous said...

Seamus, don't ever censor my distinctive voice.

Anonymous said...

In my day, Bombast meant totally off the chain. i think you are using it in a negative way here, not sure though.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit to being a hardcore Zeps fan in the day...and having said that Physical Graffiti was their best. This, I think, speaks to the pretentiousness of youth (specifically myself). Physical Graffiti is the most overcomposed album in rock history (possibly a bit of a hyperbolic statement) relative to the bands ability. Zeppelin is a blues-rock band, which should be, by nature, simpler than this album. Probably the band's songwriting went the same way as their quantity of illicit substances used... And like many bands their albums in the late 70's were shit.
I will still say the Zeppelin is better than the Stones (although the Stones have a greater penchant for poppier song writing) this may be becuause I think the Stones are a bunch of pussies compared to the band that used to do the same drugs and manage to wake up in bed with groupies instead of David Bowie.

We all know the Sarge secretly listens to the BeeGee's on his way to work.
....
please don't kill me

Anonymous said...

The Grateful Dead were once called 'The Warlocks'.