Monday, September 18, 2006

Anonymous

Who anonymously heckles bloggers? Seriously? And I mean if you're gonna do it, at least proofread your material and make sure some of it's actually funny. There's probably plenty of fodder here for successful criticism. But the best this kid could come up with was saying that I am an overweight loser. This has gotta be "Bob Plant" right (the same heckler from a previous posting)? Anyways, that's the last I'll speak of her (gender joke, always funny).

Moving on.....

I was very very wrong in my Notre Dame prediction. That loss was so devastating, however, that I'm not going to write anything further on it.....except that ND seemed flat and soft on both sides of the ball.

How about the New York Giants dramatic come from behind win in Philly?! Was that excellent or what?

To be sure, that game was almost unwatchable for 2 quarters and change. I blame Coughlin for the countless (8) penalties and 4 of the 8 sacks. How does a "disciplinarian" allow his team to churn out that slop for an entire half of football? Since Coughlin took over, the Giants are 3rd in the NFL in penalties. That's awful! What I couldn't understand though, was the inability of Coughlin and Eli to make play call adjustments. It became apparent pretty early on that Manning just wasn't being protected well enough for 5 step drops- yet they continued. They couldn't run the ball either. It seemed to me, the solution should have been some quick hitting stuff to beat the blitz. And don't even get me started on their Shockey-less game plan. There is NO excuse for not getting him the ball early and often. Not only is he an undeniable talent, but with one catch in a little space, he creates a frenzy in the Meadowlands and a Catholic Mass anywhere else.

We must all rejoice, however, as Eli did not succumb to the unyielding pressure of the Eagle defense. Taking his lumps like a man, he didn't force balls into traffic on his way down to the turf (aside from a must convert 3rd down "oh shit" to Carter). When the dust cleared, he actually put up some good numbers (about 31/43 for 371 yards and 3 td's). Most importantly, he was again at his best with the game on the line. I firmly believe that Eli has received too much of the blame for the Giants sputtering offense last year and so far this year. The unfortunate truth of the matter is, this offense doesn't operate as a cohesive unit until games are on the line and we have been lucky, to date, that young Eli has been up the the task. For this team to make and succeed in the playoffs, it will have to cut down on the mental mistakes and some of the complacency it shows towards the middle of football games.

Has anyone seen Osi Umenyora (sp?) or Michael Strahan? I've been looking for them in opposing backfields but haven't seen them yet this season aside from one coverage sack yesterday.

It really is great though to hear Eagles fans stifled by a 17 point deficit being erased by a visiting team in dramatic fashion? I could watch and listen to their reaction to that second half over and over again.

I must also admit to being a little excited about the Bears this year. Having spent almost 4 years in Chicago as a teenager, the Bears are sort of a guilty pleasure for me. This year, it seems they might actually have an offense to compliment their vaunted defense. Provided Grossman hasn't peaked over these last two games, the Bears could be a force to be reckoned with well into the playoffs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I resent the fact that you accuse me of being anonymous. I always tell you who I am, and I don't hide behind any guise in order to bolster my courage. I think maybe you should think about being a little more candid yourself, frankly.

Anonymous said...

I hate philly fans. Why is philly a real city? It sucks.

(thats all I got)