Friday, September 15, 2006

Chester Copperpot

Every once in a while someone pulls off a joke that warrants repeating. It’s not earth shattering or elaborate, just resonates for some reason. Yesterday, a good friend of mine from college called me at work.

Receptionist (slowly and confusedly): Seamus, Chester…. Copperpot on park 1?

Me (whispering to self): Chester Copperpot. That’s from something. Chester Copperpot. What’s that from?

Receptionist: …Seamus?

Me: Yeah, thanks. I got it.

As I picked up the phone I realized at once who the caller must have been and who Chester Copperpot was. There is only one person I know that would call me at work as the ghost of the fortune-seeker in Goonies that had failed where Sean Aston and co. succeeded. Obviously this wasn’t a client.

So, naturally I answered the phone whispering “Chester Copperpot” in an attempt to sound like Aston when he examined the wallet of the skeleton in one of the greatest movies of all time and then shared a laugh with the caller.

Good stuff.

No comments: