Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Many Different LIghts

There are many different lights under which to examine Barrack Obama's successful bid for the presidency of the United States.  I'd like to shine it on one of the under-acknowledged nooks.  For obvious reasons, certain aspects of the Obama story have taken a back seat to the issues.  To a degree, voicing an appreciation for the Obama story became taboo.  To be sure, it is not impressive that the most inspiring American political figure in as long as I can remember happens to be black.  It is cause for prideful celebration, however, that this country has finally reached a point where it is willing to embrace and elect that black man as president. 

A close friend of mine is a high school teacher at an inner-city school.  Given his unabashed passion for exposing institutional lies and manipulations on the behalf of any oppressed people, and also his enthusiastic approach to teaching and learning, I had lamented aloud this morning the fact that I would not be on hand to see his reception of his students this morning, and their reception of him.  Unbeknownst to him, I'm going to share the candid account he sent via email not long ago:    

As I watched the returns early in the evening it became clear after he took Pennsylvania that the race would be over within a few hours.  It just wasn't possible given the math for McCain to win.  So I took my time, prepared my lesson for the next day and headed out to an all black bar downtown, kicking myself that I didn't stay in Chicago for the rally, but happy to be joining some people that this held a great deal of significance for.

I got there a little before the major crowds showed up and nursed a beer while the central time zone returns came rolling in. The place was getting more and more crowded by the minute, and then BAM! Florida, POW!  California... and it was over.

As I looked around the bar at that moment I saw many different faces, but they all had similar looks of shock, amazement, relief and joy. I can honestly say that I have never been in a more exuberant crowd in my life. Everyone was screaming, jumping up and down, hugging each other, crying, laughing, and expressing a joy of the soul unique and singular to this moment. The next 30 minutes were filled with champagne, free drinks and a blitz of fast talking disbelief. For once, we actually elected the exact right person to fill one of the most important jobs in the world.

I was obviously really excited to walk into school today to see the pride and joy on the students' and teachers' faces. I have to say I feel extremely privileged to have been at this place for one of the defining moments in our history. I will never forget the hugs and high fives I gave and received all day today, from principal to security guards to teachers, and students. This was one of the proudest days of my life. To know that we were on the right side of history, that we have pushed civilization closer and closer to equality and justice, and that we can all come together in the days, months and years to come and continue the long march toward an even better day.

I'm proud to be an American today.


This was pretty much exactly the way I pictured it.   And I agree.

No comments: