Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bow Ties, Bannanas, and Blow

Mussolini's out of town on business. She emailed me from her Blueberry, "Tucker Carlson is on my plane."

To which I responded, "Punch him in the face for me."

This was unfair. All I really knew about the guy is that he's a conservative, he wears a bow tie, and he's on a partisan MSNBC show that masquerades as journalism.

So, being in an office with little to no free time to surf the web and research anything, let alone Tucker effing Carlson, I took the Wiki way out.

As it turns out, I don't agree with him on most things. Surprise surprise. He's adamantly pro-life, he doesn't really have a stance on gay marriage. I believe he's all for tightening up the borders and I would bet my life he's economically conservative. BUT, he does have an interesting take on George Bush and his place on the ideological line. And he IS critical of the war in Iraq.

That said, I can't stand the bow tie! Unless you're getting married or you're some blueblood asshole taking the ferry over to Nantucket, the bow tie is absolutely uncalled for (Mr. Kenyon is exempt from this rule). Especially if you consider yourself a journalist.

My favorite part of the Wiki entry was the substantial portion that detailed a well-publicized confrontation he had on Crossfire with Jon Stewart (very sad how my favorite politicians are comedians). Check it out.

He is critisized by conservatives for not being conservative enough. That's a good thing. That means he's thinking for himself. He's neither pro nor anti gay marriage. His view isn't contingent upon an interpretation of the Bible but, instead, on the potential impact, or a lack thereof, of gay marriage on children. I don't agree but at least god doesn't enter directly into his thought process.

I can't believe I just wrote a blog about Tucker Carlson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome that he was on her plane though. the other day, the guy from 'phantom gourmet' was behind me in line at dunkin donuts. i kept staring at him until finally he gave me the 'yeah, i know you know who i am but please keep it to yourself' look. it's so sad that the sighting of a boston local c-list tv celeb made my day. yay for you, mussolini. even if tucker carlson is a douche bag, at least he's talks about something of more substance than hot dogs and cannolis...i'm jealous.