Wednesday, October 08, 2008

From Poop to Fuck Buttons..... All Very Sophisticated

At what point must we come to the aid of a work acquaintance who apparently shits himself each and every morning and remains completely oblivious to the funk?  How long must we continue the charade - eyes at times watering uncontrollably as I impatiently and uncomfortably breath through the mouth every time he comes near my desk or we happen to cross paths - before confronting the potentially face melting awkwardness?  Is there a way to tell a grown man you only know in a professional setting under the guise of business casual that he smells like poo poo?  I may just have to sit this one out after all.  It wasn't always like this. Maybe this too shall pass.  Maybe he just keeps forgetting to buy toilet paper.      

...................................

"Ryan" (unfortunately I know 46 Ryans) astutely pointed out all of my NFL picks were wrong last week.  As I've been consistently off base with my office pool picks, and also as I remain winless in fantasy football, perhaps before you lay down your bets this weekend, you should consult my blog and bet the farm in the opposite direction.  Think about it.  You could actually benefit from what I don't know.  That's rare.      

Speaking of football, I've decided to stop and smell the roses, having learned the Giants sit atop ESPN's first power rankings of this young season and subsequently basking in the afterglow, acknowledging the here and now as a time worthy of appreciation.  My favorite team in all of sports won an inconceivable Super Bowl last year and has followed it up with a 4 and 0 start.    As with many things, we often become fixated on results and in so doing fail to appreciate the journey.   

...................................

I've rediscovered Simple.  Though I can't say I've ever had a pair before, I think this will soon change in the near future.  Not necessarily the handsomest shoes I've ever seen, their eco-friendly product lines more than make up for it.  Simple has broken the mold, making a new one out of recycled tires and organic cotton.  I'll rationalize paying a premium for these shoes in the same manner I rationalize shopping at Whole Paycheck: taking business away from environmentally ambivalent companies and giving it to [more expensive] green ones, in the long run will help (in its little way) to expand the market for green products and pratices, or to at least drive down Whole Foods' prices. (I actually have no idea if this is an actual economic phenomenon.)

.....................................
 
Going to see TV on The Radio on MLK Day.  Speaking of which, I need to wrap my ears around their latest, Dear Science, ASAP.

Some other stuff I've sampled that I need to make a meal out of:  
Grizzly Bear

Fleet Foxes

Beirut

Hawk and a Handsaw
Fuck Buttons

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting songs. Fuck Buttons is growing on me. I think you need to hear this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHhhcKxflMY

let me know what you think.