Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stranger than Fiction

I cried this past weekend when I stumbled upon Home Alone II, Lost in New York, on HBO. It was the end when the Mrs. McAlister finds Kevin in front of the tree on Christmas Eve. Gets me every time. I cried again a few minutes later when Buzz said something nice about Kevin before they opened presents.

So I may have been overcompensating when I flipped out at some random diabetic shortly thereafter. I had gone for a bike ride along the Charles, just as I have countless times before. Only this time I encountered thousands of people walking to raise money for diabetes. Judging by the quanitity of buses lining Storrow Drive, most of these people had filled their fanny packs with snacks, congregated in parking lots of their local middle schools buses in the early morning light, and "the wheels on the bus go round and round"-ed their way into the big city. Fucking idiots.

Having realized there were too many of them to get a decent bike ride in, at least on this path, I turned around and headed upstream, having given up. I had to go extremely slow, giving oblivious suburbanites headed in the opposite direction, and taking up all of the path, a "head's up" every other breath. Frustration was already mounting when, all of the sudden, some dude points at me and says to all the other selfless christians around him, "Look at this genius!" His tone was one of disgust and holier than thou-ness. So much so that it sent me reeling over the edge of frustration into full blown rage. "Fat fuck!" I said with conviction. "I hope you get diabetes!" I vaguely remember hearing people from amongst the crowd gasping in amazement, but no one hit me or beat me about the head with anything....so I guess I got away with one here. When my attention returned to the path ahead of me, I was too angry to appreciate the people immediately in front of me who had hurried off the path to make way; to avoid a spandex'd cyclist quite possibly infected with rabies. I'm probably more accurately just bipolar:(. But those are walks for another time and another weekend :).

No comments: