Tuesday, October 23, 2007

One Hit Wonders

I haven't taken the plunge and purchased an ipod yet. By now it's not really even a plunge it's an everyday accessory. To some, it's a vital organ. An organ I've somehow managed to survive without like some circus freak. Recently, having grown incredibly frustrated at not having in my possession a means for listening to Radiohead's In Rainbows because of a faulty home computer, I got to thinking about all the music I don't have. Which led me eventually to one hit wonders; individual songs I'd definitely put on an ipod from artists I have no real interest in. The two songs of which I'm about to pontificate typically don't fall into this category. Both bands, in fact, have acclaimed catalogues spanning numerous decades and albums. This is my soapbox, however, and they're one hit wonders in accordance with my musical pallet as it exists at this moment.

The Eagles suck. Total fuckin pussies. By extension, Don Henley sucks and is also a pussy. "End of the Innocence", however, is a fantastic song. A guilty pleasure. An extremely guilty pleasure, as I'm somewhat hesitant to admit even to myself how much I like it. A dissonance created by my distaste for The Eagles and Don Henley likely plays a role in this. The lyrics are sentimental, nostalgic and cheesy. And they're gently delivered by the wispy singing voice of a man with a pony tail befitting an aging rock star who, in the twilight of his career, was catering, whether consciously or subconsciously, to an aging fan base of pussies who'd long since lost their innocence. Be that as it may, I love this song. This fact was recently brought back to light when I stumbled upon a solely instrumental version while on vacation in Florida with Mussolini as we drove along in our neon yellow Pontiac G5 rental car. As Mussolini will attest, I needed no help with the words.

Genesis doesn't elicit as strong of a reaction out of me. Often characterized as a seminal prog rock band, a genre for which I have a taste and respect (specifically King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment-a short-lived Dream Theatre side project, Gentle Giant and Tool), I'd be hard pressed to criticize Genesis' work with any requisite authority. And though I'll openly admit to being a big fan of Peter Gabriel, I'm only reluctantly familiar with Phil Collins' ensuing pussyfest post-Genesis. (Odd coincidence the drummers from Genesis and The Eagles went on to become huge pussies in solo efforts). I'm all for well-intentioned exploration of rock's sonic fringes, varied time signatures, and the incorporation of seemingly disparate genres. I am also, however, completely unfamiliar with most of Genesis' output that falls into this category for one reason or another. I can say for certain, however, that "Land of Confusion" is a fantastic song (and perhaps an even better video...check it out on YouTube).

Personally, both songs take me back to simpler times, despite contradictory lyrical content signifying the end of simpler times and the lamenting of current world affairs, respectively. Perhaps the dynamic of this paradox explains their resonance to some degree.

Regardless, strap on your vagina and check them out. These will be amongst my first few itune purchases once I wake up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I wrong, or is Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good" one of the most bad ass songs ever? His solo effort with that song almost compensates for the Eagles' insultingly bland catalog... almost.

Anonymous said...

Am I wrong, or is Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good" one of the most bad ass songs ever? His solo effort with that song almost compensates for the Eagles' insultingly bland catalog... almost.