Thursday, July 19, 2007

Here's to Adventure

Ultimately, it is in a fit of jealousy that I post the following. My sister officially began her Central American adventure yesterday. For the next year, she'll be studying capuchin monkeys in the jungles of Costa Rica. She'll be under the supervision of a well respected evolutionary biologist (or maybe evolutionary anthropologist) from UCLA through a project that is funded by a research foundation in Germany. My brother and I teased her about being pegged by monkey poop for a year but apparently monkeys only throw their feces when in captivity. :( Regardless, my "My sister is part of the Lomas Barbudal Monkey Project" bumper sticker is on order as we speak.

"I'm here and safe. Flights were fine. I have my own room. The people I've met so far are really nice. More have not come home from the field yet.

The house is very basic, and dirty, in a third world sort of way...that made it sound awful, when its not....just not like home obviously.

I go into the field tomorrow, and it should be cool. Lots to learn. I'm really tired. I'm all unpacked. I really have to work on my Spanish. One guy here only speaks Spanish, so I can barely talk to him, but he's really nice. I went to a few grocery stores too, and again, was afraid to use my bad Spanish, but need to get over that. Costa Ricans are very friendly though."

She went on to mention something about how I am the greatest older brother one could ever ask for. How she'd taken me for granted for so long (22 years to be exact), etc. I didn't want to bore my faithful readers with that stuff though.

*For those with the inclination, a detailed description of the project can be navigated by clicking on the title of this blog entry.

No comments: