Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Notes to Self/ Lovely Time of Year

Bright Eyes' new one.

The Shins' new one.

More John Zorn.

Arcade Fire's new one. Also, can't find my copy of Funeral. Have looked everywhere except the karoeke machine.

Explosions in the Sky's new one.

Slint (anyone?)

The Neutral Milk Hotel album I don't already have.

Keith Jarrett Solo Piano (Koln Concert)- my copy's gone bad.

New live Bisco album.

Is Of Montreal any good?

The other Illy B- Droppin the Needle

Lovely Time of Year

A lot of people get really excited about Spring Training. I don't. I get excited about opening day... which isn't really on my radar yet. I mean it's on my radar but the far corner. The best part about this time of year is without a doubt March Madness. Which is significant when you consider the weather in the Northeast is warming and the days have just grown substantially longer. Oh, and St. Patrick's day is on Saturday! This is also the time of year, or was in college, when chicks begin to show some skin again!

Admittedly, this year, I know less going into the tournament (and in filling out my brackets) than any other in recent memory. This perhaps has something to do with the monopoly Mussolini has established on our TV through a dizzying combination of strong-arming and whining. If Whitey Bulger were still alive and in business (wink wink), she could be an enormous asset.

But I digress; when faced with the choice between killing myself researching all 64 teams in the field or making flat out guesses, I usually take the middle road. We all know how great Greg Oden and Kevin Durant are. I know the Big East, ACC, and Big 12 are the best conferences. The Big Ten and Pac 10 are overrated. Gonzaga is no longer a Cinderella. Neither is Southern Illinois. Notre Dame is good for 2 tournament wins at best. Duke will not make it past the second round. While I have them taking VCU in the opening round, I won't lose sleep if they don't.

I've got 3 of my Final 4 etched in red ink . I'm still in deliberations with regard to Texas v. Georgetown in the Elite 8. I hate Kansas but they're definitely one of the four best teams in the country. Oden won't be dominant enough to get Ohio State past Texas A&M. Tentatively, I have Georgia Tech surprising everyone with a Final 4 birth.

I've printed 8 copies of the brackets though... Just in case I change my mind before Thursday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Call on GT making the final 4!!

Anonymous said...

I don't like Of Montreal, but Leeds was talking them up. Cree's got me all stoked on a Japanese band called Envy (Temporary Residence Limited is their US label). They're pretty sick.