Monday, February 15, 2010

We Were Promised Jetpacks


Neither here nor there, but I think what bothers me most about Facebook is the fact that it's a forum for insecure people to try to prove to everyone how happy and secure they are. I'll sign on while I poop at work and always end up angrily wiping my ass, shaking my head and cursing to myself about some stupid shit someone I know well, barely know, or knew once posted as their status.... Did I just say that out loud?

I went and saw We Were Promised Jetpacks at the Middle East last night. I wasn't floored, nor was I pleasantly surprised like my sister and wife both were. I actually got mixed signals from Mackin between his incessant chattering in my ear during songs and the way this was punctuated by a jubilant bouncing around. I got what I expected I suppose. For a $12 asking price, it was well worth it. WWPJ is pretty straightforward. Truth be told, I'm not sure how excitable I'd be if their music weren't couched in a thick Scottish brogue. Catchy, brooding, earnest, angst-y, and sometimes aggressive, if you were to catch me with headphones on at any point over the last several weeks, chances are I was listening to These Four Walls. "It's Thunder and It's Lightning", "Roll Up Your Sleeves" and "Quiet Little Voices" were personal highlights, as was their closer, Mackin's favorite, "Short Bursts". With only one album under their belt, their set was understandably short. I did find the fact that they declined to come back out for an encore a little disappointing.

For the record, I still heartily recommend These Four Walls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sucks, Joe and I just got tickets for a show in a couple weeks. They're a really young band, so I guess I wasn't expecting a super big-professional sound anyway. Maybe I'll just get wasted!

Regarding facebook, I've "hidden" so many people for writing shit like, "Vanilla latte, Mmmmm.....". They remain friends, but if they've got nothing interesting to say they should probably say nothing at all. Unfortunately I have to make that decision for them by "hiding" them.
-Mallen