Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

Yesterday, a group of middle-aged men got off an elevator bay of my building as I stepped onto one to go back up to my floor… One of them said to the others, “Well, I guess I’ll have to cancel my vacation.”

“To Haiti?” another one questioned.

“Yup,” he answered, smiling as though he was very pleased with himself.

They were all sharing a hearty laugh as the door to my elevator closed. I wanted to punch them all in the face.

Though “slactivism”, as my buddy Kieran referred to it, I suppose it combats a prevailing feeling of helplessness to a certain degree… Check this out for ways to donate to the relief effort.

Yesterday, without thinking about it, I texted Wyclef's foundation and The American Red Cross before realizing my employer pays my phone bill.... Which I suppose makes what I've done slacktivism squared?

2 comments:

Chester Copperpot said...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0114102wyclef1.html?sb

Otis Mackin said...

Do you think Haiti would receive more love and support from the world if it was called Likey?

(via Alec Sulkin https://twitter.com/thesulk )