Saturday, January 31, 2009

[In]Defense[able] of TV


***Disclaimer: If you are under the age of 18, please disregard the limited verbal palette on display here.  The curators of this blog do not condone, nor do we condemn, all of the verbiage contained herein.  We ascribe only to the first amendment.   

A few days ago, an email exchange between some college friends prompted a response from me that reads now like a tongue in cheek defense of television.  At the time, I think I thought I was really defending it.  The original topic of conversation was LOST, which just started airing its new season.    Someone responded by listing their favorite shows, amongst which was Entourage.   I hate Entourage, and only partly because I don't get HBO.  Make no mistake; it's not clever television.  It's just male ID wish fulfillment... And sometimes that's enjoyable.  The pictures painted by two friends of mine in particular were too perfect to let disappear into the abyss of email chain history.  

Courtesy of Brendan:

I fucking HATE (that is a strong word) Entourage.  Here's a rundown of every episode ever:

"Oh shit Vince, I can't believe we're getting into this really tight spot with your career/girl/management. Oh no, it looks like our luck/dreams have finally run out."

"Wait a minute, it all works out, no biggie guys, I'm Vince for Christ's sake.  Now everybody just get back on board with my chill self."


Mike, a LA LA fixture, added:

Entourage... don't relate. Plus, I have to deal with all the douches that see that show and move to LA to get famous. I always tip them at least 10 percent.

And now, my soapbox stint:

I am resentful of your insinuation that, because someone is really into a given show(s), that they're somehow TV obsessed and wasting time while you're always extremely busy with things engrossing and worthwhile.  Know who is TV obsessed to the point of irrefutable fault? Moose.  Mostly because she has no job and can only go to yoga and look for a job for so long (especially in this economy) before she's lured back to the boob tube by the engrossing exploits of America's Top Nanny, America's Top Model, America's Top Idol, America's Favorite Runway Model, America's Favorite SoCal C*nts, Gossip C*nt, and America's Favorite SoCal C*nts Move to NYC to See Which Coast Has Bigger C*nts.


No comments: