Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cancelled

John from Cincinnati was cancelled after one season and ten episodes. I can't say I'm surprised. That was one strange show. I am a little annoyed, however.

HBO must not have known what they had on their hands when they signed contracts, no? Think about it. They either didn't think it'd be a strange show, in which case they must have slept through their meetings with Milch, or, they overestimated their viewers- in terms of the kind of challenge for which they were prepared- a distinct possibility given the success of other HBO shows with fringe content. As with most things, the reality is likely a combination.

I think this show had a quality to that it shared with jazz. Most people don't listen to jazz, though most people freely admit they don't listen to jazz because they don't understand it and not because it isn't worthwhile. This show was challenging in that it required active consumption; something that makes most Americans uncomfortable if the mindless bullshit enjoying success on TV is any indicator.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goods riddance as far as I'm concerned. As a life-long surfer I find that type of shit offensive. Before the show came out that pussy Milch was quoted, "I tried surfing, it bored the piss out of me." Apparently his show bored the piss out of HBO viewers, how ironic. I never bothered to watch it after I read that article, and although I trust your judgement Seamus, I'm still happy the show was canceled.