Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Fun

SportsCenter anchors have been quoting "Got Some" while they ramble through baseball highlights lately. "Teixeira goes deep. Got some if you need it!" I love SportsCenter. It's been well-documented that I also love Pearl Jam. How come I don't know how to feel about SportsCenter anchors quoting Pearl Jam?

I really wish I hadn't seen Pitchfork's review of Backspacer before I had actually heard the album. Pitchfork is to the naysayers what I am to the yaysayers, so to speak... Now I feel like I have to maintain some sort of objectivity and integrity that I never had in the first place. It's a funny thing, listening to an album for the first time fully intent on writing a review, having already read [the first paragraph of] one. You can easily forget you're supposed to enjoy listening to music, lost in a fit of self-seriousness. This is supposed to be fun. Remember that.

Speaking of self-seriousness (segue!), Backspacer, PJ's ninth studio album, is undoubtedly its lightest in terms of sound and lyrical content. Coming in under 40 minutes, nowhere is the introspective weightiness of Ten or the dissident frustration of Riot Act or Pearl Jam. This album is less of a showcase for chops than anything else in PJ's catalogue. It won't blow anyone's mind who isn't already sold. It's not a masterpiece either, but it isn't trying to be. Backspacer is really fun to listen to, which is important. I forget that sometimes.

The album begins behind the power of a lilting bass line from Jeff Ament with a rock and roll energy that remains consistent until the appropriately titled "The End", save for "Just Breathe", track 5, which could have been included on the "Into the Wild Soundtrack". When Eddie croons "Stay with me, let's just breathe" about a minute in, the hair on the back of your neck will likely stand at attention. "Amongst the Waves" will make you want to get in the ocean. Triumphantly. On "Unthought Known", Boom Gasper's most prominent effort to date, when the opening chords chime by themselves just before Ed joins them in a whisper, I find myself eagerly anticipating the entrance of Boom's piano, because that means I'm that much closer to "Feel the sky blanket you With gems and rhinestones!!! See the path cut by the moon For you to walk on". In a departure from all of the material that has preceded it, this album is life-affirming, attesting to all its beauty and wonder. Like one of their shows.

When I started writing this review a few days ago, I expected to gently pan this album. In a strange way I wanted to. I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of being objective about this band. Now, as I sit here listening to the album for maybe the 7th or 8th time, I can't help but laugh and shake my head while my it bobs back and forth and my left foot stomps. Who needs objectivity when you've got Pearl Jam? Not me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pitchfork is bullshit. These pretentious pricks are too hip for their own good. These are the kids that desperately wanted to be cool growing up, but were anything but. Now they try to make everyone else feel inferior because they know everything and nothing could possibly be as cool or plugged in as them. I'm surprised they even use a website, being that the web is so unsophisticated and 2008.
This album is great.