Wednesday, June 18, 2008

From the Annals of Long Ago and Yesterday

Before I cut and paste a blog entry from last summer in a futile attempt to salvage some semblance of credibility in the wake of last night's revelry, I'd like to make a heartfelt recommendation: Read Bill Simmons'  Sweet 17.  He successfully captures every aspect of last night perfectly.  I had intended to write about last night's game myself, but, having read his column at work today, any attempt would inevitably end in plagarism; sans his references to his allegiances in other sports.  

  
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 01, 2007
I Have an Announcement  
Before my 26th birthday, before it's too late, I want to announce my official re-interest in the game of professional basketball. It's been a long time. Much has happened since we last slept together. I beat acne. I started shaving. I stopped picking fights. I'm a phenomenal drinker. The list goes on. Without further ado, however, I would like to announce that I am a fan of the Boston Celtics.

This couldn't be more convenient. As I believe I have mentioned previously, I was a Boston Celtic fan until I moved to Chicago via New Jersey just prior to 8th grade. At the time, becoming a Knicks fan was a no-brainer, given the veracity of the Knicks v. Bulls rivalry. Now, years later, I live in Boston. I like Boston. Well, actually, this depends on a vast array of time sensitive, ever changing factors I won't get into right now. But my thirst for argument and controversy is quenched during the baseball season. And besides, I can only take so much. And now, having lived here for four years, I am afforded the opportunity to embrace the Boston Celtics once again. Moreover, I can do so with clear conscience.

During my hiatus from the NBA, I have maintained a quiet admiration for certain aspects of the game, albeit from a safe distance. As evidenced by my inability to play the game with any level of competency worth mentioning, I have never stopped appreciating its requisite athleticism or its beauty when played the right way. It is because of the latter actually, that I've been able to maintain an interest in college basketball despite my alma matter's ongoing futility.

I have always liked Kevin Garnett. His intensity, loyalty, ability, and sense of humor have made this an easy task; from his 12 years in Minnesota, his well-rounded game, to the old Marbury & Garnett ESPN The Magazine "All Nude" ads. I expect more of the same this upcoming season. Only now, I will get to see it in person and on a regular basis.

Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, welcome to Boston.



And here we are 11 months later.....



Garnett game 6 highlights:


And afterwards:



And then:

No comments: