Monday, September 24, 2007

Little Updates (From Costa Rica)

Our next vacation is coming up in about 5 or 6 days, and I have to leave the country to renew my Visa. Going to Granada, Nicaragua with two people I live with. Supposed to be a cool place to go. Some super cheap shopping, museums, and a nice lake. I'm saving my beach vacations for when the rainy season is over.

Things are still going great here. The rain is getting pretty brutal though. The groups of monkeys we have right now like to cross back and forth over rivers that we cannot cross during heavy rain because they flood and are too dangerous. Yesterday, it started pouring and the river already was near capacity, so I was sent back to cross the river and get the car so we would not be stranded on the wrong side. I guess I hurried a little too much, and ended up falling into the river face down. Got nice and wet, busted my legs and hand up a bit on some rocks, but managed to rescue my handheld computer! Thank god. The whole thing would have been much funnier if someone was there to laugh at me, but I was alone.

Lets see.....have seen some more cool snakes, including a boa that was in the kitchen window while I did dishes. Almost stepped on a rattlesanke the other day. That was scary. Also saw a tayra, which is a cool looking animal. Look it up.

The monkeys shit on me alot. That's always a treat.

I don't know if I ever relayed this story. It happened last month..... My friend Isaac was a little lost in the forest after dark because the monkeys slept in an unfamiliar spot. He was trying to get to the road where he could here our car waiting for him, but did not know he was approaching a 25-30ft cliff. He slipped, caught a small root, hung on for about a minute, but then the root broke and he plummeted down. Unbelievable. He got up right away and started running aroundand screaming nonsensical bullshit. His adrenaline was pumping so hard he didn't know what the hell was going on. Not sure how he got away without severe injuries. His back hurt for a few days, he bit a big chunk out of his lip, and busted his knee open, but that was it. Luckily. It was a crazy night. I have now taken major mental notes of all cliffs around our monkey's territiories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That town in Nicaragua is pretty crazy...we had a good time there Tell Caitlin to take a bpat tour of the lake. She might see the coke dealers mansion with the pet monkey tied to a tree.
=the professor