Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Sgt. Likes What the Sgt. Likes

And the Sgt. (my dad) likes to split hairs. Because he wasn't brave enough to post his response in comments, opting instead to email it to me directly, I have taken it upon myself to post his response on his behalf.

"“Jam” has been a word used primarily in rock music circles to describe lengthy, sometimes indulgent improvisation (a frequent criticism of Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Dead). As you know there can be many approaches to improvisation and each has their loyal followers and detractors. From what I have listened to from the current crop of jam bands, Disco Biscuits, STS9, Phish, the jam is based on attaining a rhythmic groove, generally a 4/4, and the improvisations are based around simple musical statements. For the non-believer, these jams can be meandering affairs displaying varying levels of technical prowess that usually take too long to make their point, if any. For the true believer it is a musical journey with no plotted course held together by the “groove”. I enjoy the Disco Biscuits while driving, a great time for groove music, but I don’t think I would try to sit and listen to them critically as I do find their improvs simplistic. Improvisation is a spontaneous and dynamic process that most people don’t appreciate as it requires the listener to “listen” to music, which is difficult to do, and this listening process requires one to try to follow the improviser on their personal journey. This walking the edge of success and failure dynamic is what I have always enjoyed about jazz and improvised music. The ultimate risk for the performer and the ultimate kick for the listener when you “get it”."

I'll respond only by saying the Sgt. has not seen the Disco Biscuits live, and has not taken the time to learn about their musical approach; as he has compared it unfarely to fusion music. By the same token, he's an old man who listens to the Disco Biscuits in his car on the way to work. That's sweet.

No comments: